- 1 whole chicken
- Spice rub mix (I use a combo of paprika, garlic/onion powder, cumin, cayenne, salt and pepper)
- 1 lemon – cut in half
- 4 cloves of fresh garlic
- Fresh herbs (rosemary and thyme work well)
- Loads of Brussel’s sprouts, celery root, onion and leeks
- Preheat oven to 375
- Put your veggies into a deep roasting pan that’s been lined with foil.
- Prep the whole chicken: Cut off the neck (if it’s still attached). Rinse the inside and outside of the chicken thoroughly under cold water. Pat it dry completely.
- Put the chicken into a roasting pan right on top of the veggies, breast-side up.
- Stuff the lemon, garlic and fresh herbs into the chicken. (You can truss it, but you don’t need to. I always let my chicken roast without the string.)
- Rub the spice mix thoroughly over the chicken skin
- Roast for 60-80 min – until internal temp in the breast is 165. 1/2 way through cooking, toss the veggies around to ensure that they’re getting roasted evenly.
- Tent the chicken for 10 min under foil.
- Carve and serve! The juices from the chicken will spread onto the veggies – mix them around to spread evenly.